Sunday 1 May 2011

Proceed to Fifty with Caution

Especially if you are single and female - because it is a well-known fact that you become invisible on the dot of your half century. Your ex-husband is married to a skinny would-be yummy-mummy (does she know that he had a vasectomy?)

We the ex-wives are meant to disappear into the ether and sadly we do. Unless we go to the gym a lot and use Botox. Some of us don't like the gym and would rather spend the Botox money on going on decent holidays. Or getting the leak in the roof fixed.

This is what my life has become. Weighing up the benefits Botox versus an intact roof. I go to the theatre on my own, and sign up for evening classes. I am invited only to dinner-parties to make up numbers when the hostess feels she has to invite her weird never-married brother because he doesn't get out much. I sit next to him and hear a lot about his model railway and his new telescope.

I can't even drink much to numb the horror because I am driving, so I come home and start a blog. I also vow to put some excitement back into my life - I think a lover would be rather fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment